The merchant navy is a prestigious career, and the country’s youth are likely to be interested in such an opportunity. It is based on business operations, including the shipment of cargo and passengers across maritime routes. The lucrative remuneration and exciting work attract the youth the most, and if you are also captivated by this career, you’ll require engineering as your basic qualification.
This job is for you if you have wanderlust and are willing to travel the world.
However, you’ll need to have some knowledge about shipping courses, eligibility criteria, and many more to get a job in this field. Read this article to know more!
Merchant Navy Job Requirements
This adventurous job also is not simple as it requires living away from family and home for about 6 to 7 months. However, you will get a long holiday of 4 to 5 months.
Eligibility Criteria in Merchant Navy after 10th
You can start your career in the merchant navy as soon as you complete 10th class if the candidate should be:
- Citizen of India
- Candidate is unmarried
- Pass 10th with a minimum of 40% marks
- Have clear vision or glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 for some ranks
- With the entrance exam, admission is followed by a screening test or main written examination.
- After clearing the test, the candidates must go for an interview or medical test.
Here are some of the best courses to pursue after the 10th for the Merchant Navy course.
- GP Rating Course
- Deck Rating course
- Engine Rating course
- Saloon Rating Course
- NCV Course,
- Diploma in Marine Engineering (follow it up with DME pre-sea training).
If you are willing to join the merchant navy after 12th grade, you must clear some exams, and numerous institute of maritime studies would get you one step ahead in your career. After completing your higher education, a few requirements exist to enroll in different merchant navy courses or shipping courses.
- 12th with physics, mathematics & chemistry with a 60% grade
- The candidate should be between the age of 17-25
- Must be unmarried
- Physically fit with no disability with a fitness certification
To get into Merchant Navy, clearing exams are essential, and some of the tests you need to clear are:
- AIMNET (All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marine Engineering (PGDME)
- IMU CET
- JEE Advanced
- MERI Entrance Exam
- TMI SAT
Get Jobs in Merchant Navy
The Merchant Navy is one of the best jobs where you will get a lot of benefits & perks. You can get a job in this field with the right educational qualifications, being physically fit, and passing the examinations.
However, due to the rise in demand for the Merchant Navy, it’s best to select a training institute of maritime studies, such as the College of Maritime Studies, that helps you get the job through sponsorship.
The college also offers a placement guarantee that makes it easy for candidates to start a career in the Merchant Navy.