Electro Technical officer (ETO)
This is a 17 weeks residential conversion course for graduates of select streams to equip them to join Merchant Navy as Electro Technical Officers. It is approved by the Directorate General of Shipping (Government of India) and acts as a gateway for the Electrical & Electronics Graduates to enter Merchant Navy.
The curriculum covers aspects related to basics of marine engineering, marine electrical systems, fire prevention and safety technology, marine electronics system. Electro Technical Officers are accountable for checking all electronic and electrical equipment on ship to ensure the operational safety and competency of the ship. These officers work in co-operation with officers from both departments i.e. Deck and Engine for assistance related to electrical and hydraulic technology. The general work responsibilities include power management and distribution systems and maintenance of other ship areas such as reefers, lifts and electrical bus systems.
Usually minimum 50% marks in English language either in 10th or 12th standard are required. However, DG Shipping has permitted admission of such candidates for ETO course who could not score 50% marks in English at 10th or 12th standard but have scored 60% in Diploma and 50% in Degree courses, if the medium of learning in Diploma/Degree courses is English language subject to fulfilling all other eligibility norms and medical fitness.
Enquiry for Merchant Navy Courses
Qualification: The following are the qualification requirements:-
- Passed three years Diploma with 60% marks or four years Degree including lateral entry with 50 % marks in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Telecommunication, Communication Engineering or Electronics and Instrumentation or equivalent. The diploma or degree courses must have been recognized by any State or Central Government or the AICTE.
- Passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or equivalent vocational education course and English as a separate subject, with minimum 50% marks in English language at 10th or 12th or Diploma or Degree level.
Age Limit: Not more than 30 years at the time of the course commencement
Passport: It is mandatory to have passport at the time of course commencement.
- Candidates should be healthy and physically fit for sea service as per STCW 95/MS Medical rules 2000 and all its amendment as applicable to seafarers.
- Candidates will have to undergo a full medical check-up through our Panel Doctor approved by D.G. Shipping.
- To know more about STCW 95/MS Medical Rules 2000, visit D. G. Shipping website
- Distance vision (unaided): 6/12 in each eye; or 6/9 in better eye and 6/18 in other eye.
- Normal color vision.
- Candidates will have to undergo a full eyesight test by a Company Medical Officer.
Career Progression Chart
Note: ALL THE MARITIME COURSES WILL BE CONDUCTED AT THE RESPECTIVE DG SHIPPING GOVT OF INDIA APPROVED INSTITUTE.